How To Become An Election Judge
What are Judges of Election?
Judges of elections are responsible for the administration of election procedures in the polling place on Election Day. They are in place ensuring that the election process is administered fairly and in accordance with the law.
What are the qualifications necessary to be an election judge?
• Be a citizen of the United States.
• Be of good repute and character.
• Be able to speak, read and write the English language.
• Be of good understanding and capable.
• Not be a candidate for any office in the election and not be elected committeeman.
• Need to be registered to vote in the county.
How are Judges selected?
Judges of Election are selected by the County Board from list furnished by the chairman of the County Central Committee of the Democrat and Republican parties, the party which cast the highest average number of votes at the most recent three gubernatorial elections in the precinct shall be represented by three judges; the party which cast the second highest number of votes at the three most recent gubernatorial elections in the precinct shall be represented by two judges.
How are Election Judges trained?
In the fall of even numbered years after Election Judges have been certified by the court, they must attend a mandatory Election Judge training school. This course covers the duties and responsibilities of election judges and an examination which tests reading skills, ability to work with poll lists, ability to add and knowledge of election laws governing the operation of polling places is given.
What are some of the duties of the judges of election?
• Open and close the polls;
• Be responsible for all election materials;
• Ensure that only qualified voters are permitted to vote and that each qualified voter is permitted to vote once and only once;
• Give instructions in the method of voting when requested by a voter;
• Give assistance to illiterate and physically disabled voters;
• Maintain order in the polling place throughout the day;
• Tally the vote after the polls are closed; and to certify the election results in that precinct.
How may I become an election judge?
Contact the County Clerk's Office by phone or email and express your interest in serving as a Judge of Election. Election judges are vital to the conduct of efficient and honest elections to which voters are entitled.