Civil Union License Information

Hours to obtain a Civil Union License at the Moultrie County Clerk's office are 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. Monday through Friday. The application process takes approximately 20 minutes. Cost is $65.00.

• The ceremony must be in Moultrie County
• Cannot be related to one another.
• A valid driver's license, state issued ID, or passport is required for identification.
• There is a one-day waiting period prior to ceremony; and, the license is good for 60 days after applying. If ceremony has not taken place within the 60 days the license is void and the couple will need to reapply, and will be assessed an additional fee.
IF YOU ARE A MINOR (meaning a person 16 or 17 years of age), you may not obtain a Civil Union license.
IF YOU PREVIOUSLY ENTERED INTO A CIVIL UNION/MARRIAGE, and it ended by death, dissolution or annulment, you must provide:

• Month, date and year of the previous Civil Union/Marriage.
• County and State in which the death, dissolution or annulment occurred.
• If the dissolution or annulment occurred within 30 days of the date you are obtaining the Civil Union license, you are required to provide a copy of the decree signed by the Judge of the Circuit Court.

IF YOU ARE GETTING UNITED BY A JUDGE, you will need to make arrangements by calling 217.728.4521.
• You will be asked to complete a Civil Union Application. Information asked:
• Full name, including birth name.
• Address where you presently reside - street, city, county, state and zip.
• Birth (DOB) and City, County and State you were born in.
• Social Security Number.
• Occupation (i.e. laborer, secretary, etc.).
• Mother's full name, including her birth name, and address - street, city, county, state and zip.
• Mother and Father's state they were born in.
• Father's full name, and address - street, city, county, state and zip.
• Highest level of school you completed.
• Number of Civil Union/Marriage this one makes.
• If previously in a Civil Union or marriage, how did it end (death or dissolution); the date ended and the County and State in which it ended.
• Your race and whether you are of Hispanic origin.

• Anyone can receive a copy of your Civil Union License. However, only the couple may get a copy of the Civil Union Application.
• You may need certified copies of your Civil Union License for legal purposes. You may prepay for these copies at the time you apply for your Civil Union License, and provide us with an address where to mail the certified copies. When the Civil Union License is returned to us after the ceremony, we will process your request.
• Please note, if the Civil Union ceremony does not take place within the 60 days, there will be no refund.